Tuesday, July 17, 2012

If you can lose your salvation, then what must you do to keep it?

Matt Slick has an interesting article that answers this question click at the link below...

http://carm.org/if-you-can-lose-your-salvation-then-what-must-you-do-keep-it

(an excerpt...)

.........All that I am and all I need is found in the work of Christ. Even my ability to believe is God's work (John 6:28-29). My believing has been granted to me by God (Phil. 1:29). And, I believe because I was appointed to eternal life (Acts 13:48). Should I then stand before God and man and say that I am keeping my position with God by my own faithfulness? This is something I can never claim.
That is why I ask people who believe they can lose their salvation and are seeking to maintain it by being faithful, "Are you taking credit for your believing?" If they say yes, they are boasting. If they say no, then I ask them what makes them think that if God who granted that they believe (Phil. 1:29), appointed them to eternal life (Acts 13:48), chose them before the foundation of the world for salvation (Eph. 1:4-5; 2 Thess. 2:13), predestined them (Rom. 8:29-30), and said he will lose none (John 6:39), we'll let them slip through his fingers when he said it was his will that those who believe would not be lost and would be raised on the last day (John 6:37-40)?..........

The above are some good verses from Matt, and the point is that you cannot lose your salvation. That's a promise from Jesus, who tells us plainly in John 10:27-30 that he is holding onto us and will let no one snatch us from his hand! When Jesus says no one can take you from him, you can believe that he means no one (including yourself!--or do you think you're stronger than him?) :).

When Jesus says "He who believes in me has eternal life" (John 6:47) He means eternal --forever. May all of us believing sinners take comfort in his words...now and forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment