Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Gospel of Jesus: The Comfort of Believers

These things have I written to you that believe on the name
of the Son of God: that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 John 5:13)

Yes, you can know if you will live forever with Christ in heaven.
Jesus himself tells you how you will know, when he says:

“He who believes in me has everlasting life.” (John 6:47) and
“He who hears my word and believes on him that sent me, has eternal life and
will not come into condemnation (hell); but is passed from death to life.” (John 5:24)

Your ability to believe that Christ died for you on the cross and his death is the essence of faith
and the Bible tells us such faith is a gift that only God can give.

For it is by (God’s) grace you are saved through faith, (in Christ) –and this is not from yourselves,
it is a gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

In other words, if you believe in Jesus and
what he did for you, you have been given a great gift.

“You did not choose me, but I chose you…” (John 15:16)
he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world… (Ephesians 1:4)

Though you may not “feel” any different, you can know that
the Holy Spirit has given you the new birth (John 3) when you are
able to believe that Jesus is the sinless Son of God who died
to save us from the hell that we truly deserve for our sins.

Who himself (Jesus) bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins,
should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes you were healed. (1 Peter 2:24)
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life. (Romans 6:23)

Your day of faith is the day you believe that Jesus alone did everything
needed to secure your salvation—rescuing you from sin, death and the devil.
He has saved completely all those he died for.

…he (Jesus) said, “It is finished.” (John 19:30)
And I give them eternal life; and they shall never perish,
neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. (John 10:28)

Your day of faith is the day you believe that Jesus has won for you a place with him
where you will go one day to live with Him in peace and joy forever.

“I go to prepare a place for you…” (John 14:2)
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and
receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:3)

In the meantime, Christ commands us to “Love one another, as I have loved you.”
And he gives to us a Comforter, the Holy Spirit.

“He will guide you into all truth… (John 16:13)
“I am the way, the truth and the life. No man cometh unto the Father, except by me.” (John 14:6)
Thy (God’s) word is truth… (John 17:17)

And as we travel this rocky road of life with its many ups and downs,
We remember that Jesus promised:

I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. (Matthew (28:20)
I am the resurrection and the life… (John 11:25)
I am the bread of life… (John 6:35)
I am the light of the world… (John 9:5)

In this gift of faith that Christ has given us, he calls us to be baptized into a Church that teaches the truth about his death on the cross and how it means everlasting life for all who believe in him.

Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in
the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:29)
…upon this rock (faith) I will build my church and
the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Matthew 16:18)

He tells us to receive him in a very special way at Holy Communion.
This is my body…This is my blood (Matthew 26:26-28)

Jesus tells us that one way to love others as he loves us,
is to forgive others when they sin against us.

For if you forgive men their trespasses,
your heavenly Father will also forgive you. (Matthew 6:14)

He calls us to live our lives in readiness, watching for his return.

Watch therefore, and pray always, that you may be accounted worthy to escape
all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of Man. (Luke 21:36)

No comments:

Post a Comment